Friday 3 September 2010

After a week away (someone in the cab will play !)

 I was met after my glorious week away, with a week full of long days, long runs and long waits.
 My first day back was a nice long run to Norwich, Great Yarmouth and then Lowestoft before an afternoon collection that was going to have to be at the NEC in Birmingham before 8 am the next day.

I was supposed to leave at 5 am but seeing as some (un printable word inserted) had taken all my bedding and other possessions out of my regular truck, I was left searching around our yard for 40 minutes asking everyone in sight.
I eventually found my pillow and quilts under the sink in the drivers kitchen ! yeah that where they must keep them , silly me.
 After the NEC was off I  did the usual boring collections around the mids and finished at a sensible time for once. Next day was going to be a long one though and I was told to take my night gear. Good job I looked under the sink.
 My first job was crossing the Dartford Bridge before it closed because of a lorry fire early on Thursday morning. I didn't make it. First long wait.


 I eventually crossed the bridge and arrived in Kent in search of joiners workshops along the Kent coast and surrounding areas.


 It was actually a really beautiful part of the country , a part I had never really thought about before. This sea wall actually reminded me of the sea wall in Pueto Banus in Marbella , minus the Astons and Ferrari's of course.


 I was walking along this wall, taking these pictures and all I could was gunfire. slightly un nerving I know but I thought "Well I'm not that far from London" but then I saw a firing range and relaxed a little.



Stopping at the services on the way back up I found this unfortunate trucker explaining to his boss that it wasn't his fault and how was he supposed to know it was a coach bay? Well, it says "Coaches Only" on every bay and that's why we all walk a mile to and from the toilets!

 
 I hate this truck but others might love it!


The pictures all stop now but I was still only half way through my day.

I had a collection in south London that looked like a lock up out of the bill. It was a container of Acid that needed the orange plates down. Reading the notes I noticed it was going to Israel, I thought they had started Peace talks >?.

I spent the night at a services on the other side of the Dartford Tunnel and was back in home territory by 6 am.

I was loaded and straight back to Milton Keynes for 8 .30 and then back again and up to Letchworth and an Asda drop for 3 pm..

I was still in Asda at 6pm and getting very close to a 15 hour day and being parked up for the night.

But the weekends gods shined down on me and out came the forklift, up came the glass screen and out came my gate pass along with a smile and a Have a good Weekend mate ! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that Marmite truck!! ;)

    Danny - I wondered what your experience of HGV GPS has been...? Can you email me at jools(at) naked-ape.co.uk

    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.