Wednesday 22 July 2009

Rant week

I have been doing a lot of ods and sods with this new job the last few weeks and over those few weeks I have encountered lots of different sides to the haulage Industry.

I have been getting wound up by lots of different things.

Its mostly at goods in but recently a few though are directed at my fellow drivers .

All drivers think they know best, but the drivers I hate are the ones that drive like complete pricks.

They drive like this because they think they are "Professional" drivers and that they know what they are doing.
I mostly mean truck drivers here.

Everyday in this country, the roads are held up for hours on end because a Lorry has lost its load,tipped over or just crashed.

I cant imagine all these faulty lorries driving around just waiting to tip over at the slightest breeze or tyres blowing on the roundabout without any warning. It is mostly caused by bad driving.

I wouldn't dream of dismissing every accident because that would be daft but most accidents are caused by human error.

The truck is loaded wrongly, or unsafe, or the driver was driving to fast or a combination of both. Some accidents can also happen because of mechanical failure. Most of these should be picked up on your daily checks.

I work in a company were we have 60 drivers and when I'm strapping loads most of the drivers I have met have criticised me for bothering , most common quote would be "I been driving (insert your own number from 5-35 here ) years and I never lost a load yet.

That could be true but you can never legislate for others and we all know there are some nightmares on all roads.

All it takes is some sharp braking and bamm, the loads gone, or you end up with mondeo face in your rear end.

Goods in personal are another one of my pet hates.

The phrase they have been saying to me these last few weeks is Hi ViZ.

They also seem to think I may not be able to understand so they pull at the lapels on their own HI VIZ to show me what they mean.

I hate Hi Viz , I hate the reason we wear it and the reason we try to enforce it all on to others. I hate seeing politicions wearing them on walk abouts at factory's and building sites.

I saw a picture of an empty government swine flu center in the papers yesterday and the advisors were all wearing Hi Viz , Why ? it was empty , they were sitting down , inside !

I can see the need for them in some places of course , but I hate the santimonious way that pimple faced security guards clutch there HI viz vest between their fingers and go " Hi Viz mate !" .
I even hate writing the words Hi Viz vest!.

Rant over , for now !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.