Friday 31 July 2009

More of the same

I found an American jeep looking like new on an Industrial Estate.

Parked up on my 45 minute break this week.

Eddie looks like he has started taking on building contracts , or branched out into Showbiz.


I have been back to London this week and I have to say I have been enjoying it a lot more since I have been going down in a 7.5t.

It takes a lot of the stress out of delivering because there are not many streets you cant go down.

The truck has been pretty decent as well so its not been a chore to drive.

This was my first drop on Wednesday , I had already been here on Monday so I knew were I was heading.


Another thing that makes it easier is that I am finding my feet a little bit, I recognise landmarks and can work out were I am in relation to were I need to be now.

I see the London eye and I know I'm near Westminster , I see the dome I'm in the east end, I see the Gherkin and I'm heading toward sat nav hell in the city.


I don't know why but every time I go that way and get to a certain street the sat nav always goes haywire and tells me to to turn left ,right and then turnaround even.

I was collecting from here but didn't hang around when this bloke got his ticket book out.


I get by without the sat nav in some parts of London now, especially if I have been to the drop before which for me is a massive improvement.

A few tourist attractions before the crowds spoil the view.


This is the new Olympic Stadium.

One of my delivery's on Wednesday was at St Pancras train station.

I have always loved the iron frames that the train passes when you pull up into the old St Pancras and I got up really close to them on the building site.


They look awful up close , all the pillars are piled up and rotting away in a compound.

To get into the compound was a feat of engineering in itself.

I first had to find the entrance, then I was questioned by the security guard, he sent me to the first gate marshall who held me at the barrier.


He then radioed the other security man who took my reg number and name and then let me through another barrier.

I went through two more barriers with three more marshall's and stewards and safety marshall's and security guards and still not a builder in site.

They were all on a break.

I eventually passed through to the drop off point and an actual live builder took my One pallet off and I was allowed out into the busy cab lined street I had blocked up about an hour earlier when I was trying to enter the compound the wrong way.

I had a nice collection on Thursday at Penguin books , I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff.


It was absolutely chucking it down and every one was soaked just getting out and opening the doors.

I took the penguin stuff to Amazon and if the building looks impressive the staff couldn't be more different.

You are treated like an intruder when you arrive and are constantly warned and controled by signs.

Then they direct you to a bay and leave you sitting on a bay without any information or any instructions.
Eventually someone comes out and collects your keys and then they tip your vehicle, You don't go anywhere you just have to sit in the truck , without your keys and therefore without any power.

After roughly an hour they brought my keys back and I was free to go.
At last.


Friday was a slow day with local collections .

I get a new 09 truck on Monday so Ill be posting pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Just a tip mate
    When I was in the UK doing all these awful DCs I couldn't live without my radio for the hours it took to tip the trailer.
    Simple solution, two sets of keys, hand them over and sit back and listen to your thrash metal CDs or whatever tickles your fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers for the tip about tiping,
    I have heard other drivers use that system ,That particular lorry was like that but I am slowly working myself through the whole fleet (100) vehicles because I am a reserve driver so I never know what vehicle I am in from day to day but its worth finding a set to hand in your right.
    Cheers for reading and keep commenting I like to know someone is out there!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.