Tuesday 4 December 2012

The lights are on, but no one is home !

I haven't had many shifts these last few  weeks so I decided to write a couple of  weeks worth of blogs with all the subjects that have jumped into my mind along my travels.

First stop East Midlands airport and a sad sight. An empty office and a deserted car park, one that was once full of people's or more accurately , workers cars. All you can see now is a empty office and lots of lights left on.

As the Christmas season approaches and  the usually busy period is supposedly upon us my work seems to of dried up.

My usual customer has gone from needing me 3 -4 days a week to just 1 or 2.
I'm trying to diversify but I have never really got on with agency's.






I love this VW scrap yard in the West Midlands. I have always been fascinated by the VW beetle and Camper and often stop here after collecting my hazardous load and just admire the view.
I suppose this is another site we will lose from the high street and retail parks. It will probably survive in the on line world though but at what cost to the humans that used to work for them. 



One reason for me wanting to take my class on, was to one day drive things like this in the above picture.
 I have still never taken my class 1  and with the wage gap  paid to all class's of HGV driver shrinking all the time, I now  dont think its worth the extra effort and expense to take it. 
This was Colwyn Bay at about 7 am, A nice early delivery of timber to a joiners yard just around the corner from this wonderful view.
Well worth the 45 minutes I paid to the Tachograph for this.
Self explanatory picture really, I was in Wales so obviously I saw Sheep. 

I've done lots of London delivery's in the last few weeks and the same policy always applies.  Get in and get out. As fast as possible, but I was in the fortunate position to be on Oxford Street at 6 am the other morning as it was incredible seeing the lights with very little traffic on the road.
I was sadly without my camera due to a few technical issues with the iPhone.

This brings me on to my next topic, its Technology and how much we rely on technology without realising it.
My iPhone crashed just before I went to bed for an early start in the morning. countless restarts and reboots and all other of processes didn't bring the iPhone back to life so I booked an appointment with the Apple store on line and finally went to bed.
The earliest appointment was in two days time so as well as having to have a day off work to have it fixed,
 I was also going to incommunicado for two days.
As I work for myself it is the only number most people have for me and also being an iPhone , it also carries every number I own.
Its not just the phone I was going to miss, most deliverys I make are difficult to find and the iPhone is instrumental in getting me to most of them with its easy internet access letting me find the businesses phone numbers or proper post codes. 
In the morning I  had to resurrect an old Nokia handset, mangle a way of getting the iPhones  new mini sim into it and set off into the information wilderness.
It was a bleak cold feeling to start with and drivers room seemed an even lonelier place than usual without my own tiny screen to stare into but after a while, I began to feel free, I looked up and  even caught a few eyes and exchanged a few tiny nods with other drivers.
When it came to ringing the office I simply rang the land line and was put through rather than ringing the planners mobile.
It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be and after the 2nd day I can honestly say I didn't really miss it. 
I came out of Apple with another new iPhone as my phone had indeed died and I put the old Nokia back in the drawer and looked at it with a new found respect  and slid the drawer shut with a heavy heart clutching my new phone. and wondering would I ever need it again.

I write this blog on my iPhone and use it for taking all my photos now so I doubt it, I also hope not but if I do now I know it wont be the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.