Friday 14 August 2009

The Charge Of The Light Brigade



As I was driving along the A14 on the way to Norwich at 4 .30 am on Thursday I witnessed a brilliant sight.

I really wish I had of set my windscreen cam up but I don't usually do that until its daylight.

I saw two trucks on the opposite carriageway, coming towards me side by side, lit up in all their glory, battling it out for a few extra feet of tarmac , those few precious extra seconds up the road , for pride and for glory.

It was a truly awesome sight , far more entertaining than the meteorite shower we were all promised but most of us couldn't see because of cloud.

They looked just as impressive from the rear as I watched them disappear in my mirrors and I couldn't help thinking of a caption for my lost picture "The Charge of the light brigade".

I heard the wild life film maker, Simon King on the radio the other day talking about a photo he missed once and he was telling the presenter it was a relief in many ways because it gave him a chance to actually enjoy the moment for once, and not have to worry about framing anything or aperture or other technical practicalities.

I'm not suggesting that the brief, all be it beautiful, passing of two stubborn, blinged up trucks on the A14, compared in any way to the sight of an Orca whale mid leap in the pacific ocean, but I did feel a sense of freedom as I reveled in the moment, without the shackles of photography restricting and monopolizing my senses.

One of the trucks looked a little bit like this one!!


I was still musing over my lost opportunity but enhanced experience, when I came across more duelers, this went of for several miles and got pretty petty with some swerving thrown in to spice things up.





Most of my day was taken up just delivering and driving with not much time for writing so Ill post the pictures I took.


I love Beetles, but amazingly it still remains one of the few cars I have never driven , along with all Ferrari's and most Porches , all Bentley's and, well you get the idea. my dad says its probably why I still love them.

He used to import them from Holland in the 70's.

My favourite Beetle is the Jeans model , A bright orange 70's version with blue denim interior.

I found this in Norwich just after my first drop , I dont think its an original Jeans but it's definitly orange.

This house was really nice, the owner was very pleasant while he showed me where to find his gardener who would show me where he wanted his items placing.






Going through Ely I forgot all about the low bridge and then after I had doubled back I was stuck waiting for the freight train to pass here.

At my Ely drop I found a few old relics , after I got them to sign I took a picture of these two.






Friday was a drive down to Devizes with a load of crime books destined for the USA.

My next drop was here


I cant believe I drove past it but I did, three times!!

It was early though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.