Wednesday 17 June 2009

The Horse Whisperer

This was home for the last two days and again Tomorrow night as well.


The job seemed like an easy one, but a long one.

Four drops in South Wales and a collection on the way home, park up and drop the collection off in the morning.


The first drop was easy, 7 am in Swansea. The goods in man was a rude old git but I'm used to that and it went straight over my head I just opened up the doors and let them take what they needed .

The next few drops were a nightmare to find because they were all farms in the middle of nowhere, but I trusted my instincts, and two truckers atlas's, and eventually worked my way up the hills and through the tiny lanes to deliver the loads.


It was a beautiful day and it gave me the perfect opportunity to partake in one of my favourite pastimes. Road Wreck spotting.


I was on my way to a village in the hills called Blaenycoed. It was a real climb and tested the Scania auto box.

It was a good job I had done my research and learnt what the green button does next the stick. ( a pm to a trucknet Scania expert)

After phoning for directions I had to divert around Camarthan and then back up into the hills to get the truck up because the other roads were just to small.
I finally arrived at the address and only then did I find out what I was collecting.

It was then I wish I hadn't.
I was picking up a whole farm!

All the equipment and all the bedding for nine horses including their training floor.


These blocks needed loading on one by one, nearly 3 tonnes.

I was met at the farm in Wales by a guy who had bought everything on the site at a horse sale.

He had bought a troublesome mare and liked the look of a stallion that hadn't met the reserve so he went up to Wales to have another look, and just like Victor Ki am of Remington fame, "He bought the company"

He bought everything that wasn't nailed down, and some stuff that was as well.

The funny thing was, that the longer we were there, the more he bought.

He kept coming back to the truck and trying to find some more space because, in his words "He'd done another deal. "

He was a great bloke, lots of fun and even though the work was hard and long , it was still interesting.

80 bags of chippings for the horses and that was just for starters. I was there for 5 hours and only just had time to get back down the road and park up for the night.

I was up really early, just after 6 and set off to meet the horse whisperer at his ranch.




There was just the two of us to unload so it took a while and we kept getting interrupted by a wild horse that wouldn't settle and had to be soothed.

This load had to come off and it was made easier by this trailer and quad that we brought back from the Welsh homestead.





I came across this rare magnum while I was taking a breather. It was originally a removal lorry but was bought for a horse box conversion. I couldn't get closer.
These 3 TNT trucks were the fruits of a past deal and all had a price.


I had a long day and stunk of everything horse but I enjoyed getting to far flung places and seeing and meeting interesting people.

I have a late start in the morning and another night away which I don't enjoy at all but I guess that's the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.